Why do I need a professional Bike fit?
A holistic bike fit is always a balance between comfort and performance. Gender, age, flexibility, past training history, previous injuries, future goals or targeted events all play a role in determining exactly where this balance lies for you. Knowing how to get the best from a fit is therefore a mix of the science of biomechanics, together with understanding the individual riding characteristics. Equipment can be altered through adjustments, while the body can be adapted.
Why do I need a professional bike fit?
A traditional bike fitting will adapt every rider to their bike by ensuring the riders knee angle is approximately 140degs when at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Some may extend this further by recording all the major joint angles via extensive sensors and/or cameras.
What these fits fail to do unfortunately, is take into account the individual riders own biomechanics. This can be influenced by a host of variables such as musculoskeletal asymmetries, mobility, and past or current injuries.
As a passionate road cyclist and cycling fan in general I get great enjoyment from sharing my love for all things cycling with others. I believe the more people that are on bikes, the better it is for us as cyclists, road users and the general health and wellbeing of the whole community.
It frustrates me, then when I see someone riding in an ill-fitting position or hear of someone who has given up on cycling due to ongoing pain or discomfort. Through my training and experience as both a cyclist and a physiotherapist I have the skills and knowledge to not just adjust the bike to fit the rider, but also fit the rider to the bike through specific training so whatever the objective of each particular fit is, we can achieve it.
Who is it not for?
- Competitive mountain bikers
- Those with highly specific injuries/conditions (eg. Significant leg length discrepancies, amputees)
What do I bring?
- Your Bike
- Cycling shorts/kit
- Cycling shoes
- Towel and water bottle (recommended)
Where and how long?
- Saturdays at Groove Health
- Allow 2 hours for full assessment
- Detailed assessment, including past and present injuries, goals and
- Dynamic on-bike assessment with video analysis
- Adjustments as required
- Final report noting changes made and why, plus any further suggestions
- Specific home exercise program
- Follow up visit to monitor changes and adjustments as required
Who is it for?
- Competitive road cyclist or triathletes (road or time trial bikes) looking to improve performance
- People just getting into cycling and never been set up before, sportive/charity ride riders
- Riders with specific pain or discomfort related to riding, or previous injury
- People with a current bike and looking to get fitted prior to buying or ordering a new bike
Why choose Groove Health?
All too often bike fitting is generally limited to adjusting a bikes contact points, the saddle and handlebars, so the rider ‘fits’ within a certain number of criteria. In a perfect world such a system would be great, unfortunately most riders have their own quirks and anomalies, which may be the result of a range of issues such as past injuries, specific tightness and lifestyle choices.
A bike fit at Groove takes a more holistic approach to address these issues, so the bike fitting process is as much fitting the rider to the bike, in combination with adjusting the bike to the rider.
The end goal is to reduce rider discomfort which is in turn is the biggest detriment to performance. So whether your goal is completing a particular sportive, racing up a grade or simply getting comfortable enough to enjoy your riding then a Groove bike fit is aimed at you.
Call our friendly team today on 3398 9556 to book you professional bike fit with Peter.